Sunday, August 7, 2011

Herbed Orange Chicken with Olive Couscous

*Recipe adapted from e-mealz

For couscous:

One package of Near East plain couscous
chopped olives (at least 1/4 cup, but can add more)
Chopped parsley (at least 2 Tbsp, but as much as you like)
1/4 cup of chopped almonds
2 garlic cloves, chopped

Boil 2 cups of water (I always add olive oil, eyeballing about 2 Tbsp, otherwise the couscous can come out dry). I throw in the garlic before it starts to boil. After it boils, I throw in the olives, then add the couscous and cover. Let it sit for five minutes, then fluff with a fork and add the parsley and almonds.

For the chicken...

3 chicken breasts
Juice of two oranges (w/ pulp)
1-2 shallots, diced
Olive oil
Salt, pepper, garlic, chili powder, honey, thyme

I coat the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme. No exact measurements, sorry :( Then I add olive oil to the pan and heat (you can also spray with cooking spray) and sear the chicken for three minutes on each side. I remove it to a pan on the side (do NOT let it cool down, keep it warm). Then I add the shallots, cooking for approximately one minute. I sprinkle with chili powder and saute for another 30 seconds. I add the orange juice which deglazes the pan, add some honey, allow it to boil and then reduce till it thickens slightly. Place the chicken in a glass pan, pour the sauce over it and allow it to cook 20-25 minutes (depending on thickness of chicken) at 375. (Oh yeah, pre-heat your oven).

Serve over couscous with plenty of sauce, salt to taste. :) Super simple, very delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment