Thursday, August 18, 2011

What kind of mom are you?

I belong to a parenting website that I joined a few years back that has helped me to sort of "define" myself as a mother in the sense that it has allowed me to develop views on things that I never would have even thought about before.

For example...who would have thought that I would grow up to be a non-circumcising, extended rearfacing, co-sleeping breastfeeder?! That's seriously not what I pictured myself being as a parent, I thought I was going to be much more...I don't know. Laid back, I suppose....but I'm not. I'm fiercely protective and anal about my children and I never thought I would be.

Anyway, I find in reading the website that I'm on that people tend to stick themselves in various catagories and I always wondered why...ex: "I'm a crunchy mama". I think it's possible to to define yourself in ways more than a parenting choice, if that makes sense (when talking strictly about parenting).

What kind of mom are you? Do you define yourself a certain way?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I have a category. I just do what I think is best for my baby. :) I breastfeed and stay at home, but I don't use cloth diapers. She sleeps in our room but not in our bed. We vaccinate on schedule. Mothers are like snowflakes - no two exactly the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try not to categorize myself...but I do know which website you are talking about. We're both on there. LOL.

    ReplyDelete